Kid schrapnel, solved! I hope.

We're in the swing of a new routine with the start of the school. Three of my four kiddos are now in school.  My initial project of the school year is to get the house simplified, organized and donate the items we don't use.

In other words, I covertly bag up the kiddos toys while they're not home and give them away!!! Mwa ha, ha ha!  The result is a cleaner house and happier Mom, which is totally the point.

Yet I am finding that even though the house is picked up, there's still these little items on the floor that I call kid shrapnel.  It's senseless little things strewn about without rhyme or reason.



It's like they walk around the house with baskets and sprinkle little piles of junk here and there, like twisted flower girls.  

Enter the chore chart and behavior scale.  Boom.


I've been thinking about this project for weeks.  I wanted a responsibility chart and behavior tracker, but didn't want it to be an eyesore.  I designed them over the course of a couple of weeks because I gave a lot of thought to consequences and rewards.  I also wanted some of their jobs to be fun, like helping with dinner, so that it's not a total drag for them.    

I reused a mirror that I already had and painted it first with magnetic paint.  


I painted three coats with drying time in between...and it didn't work.  Magnets would not stick to it.  I returned it to the store and spoke with the paint department.  They reshook the can and told me to give it another shot.  Three more coats later and magnets would stick to it, but just barely. The magnets couldn't hold up a piece of paper with three clothespins on it. Returned it.

Bummed, I painted over top of the magnetic paint with chalkboard paint.  I created my own color by using some gray paint I had mixed in unsanded grout (1 cup of paint with 2 tablespoons unsanded grout.)  


This is the formula for the paint I used, in case anyone is interested.


Mix into a pudding-like consistency. I applied two coats with dry time between.  Once dry, your new chalkboard needs to be "seasoned".  Rub a piece of chalk over the entire surface and erase it away with a dry or barely damp paper towel.  




Since the magnetic paint didn't work out, I used an adhesive velcro to adhere some of the papers to the board.


 Unfortunately my printer went a little wonky at the end line.  Oh well.  Moving on.



Today is day one of using the behavior chart and job chart.  I hope it works as a good visual reminder for the kiddos so that I don't sound like a broken record.  I also am working on a list of jobs to choose from if one of the girls should land on the  "Uh oh jar".  Doubt that will ever happen to one of my darling angels, but should be prepared for it, eh?  I also want to figure out the reward system for being a Super star, like popcorn/movie night, sleepover, etc.

And here's your very own printable!  Let's solve the shrapnel problem together, shall we?










CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment