Front Entry Progress

I've been working on our new front storm door.  I like quick and easy jobs because there's too many difficult and long jobs in my life right now.  Like raising kids.  

Two words, people: danish oil.  That's where it's at.  I've used it on a footstool, china cabinet, dining room chairs and now on the front door.

I asked the paint guys if danish oil would weather well for an exterior application and they agreed that either danish oil or a marine grade spar would work well.  They estimated I'd get 2-3 years out of the danish oil application versus a 5-6 year using a spar.  But if I used a spar, I'd have to sand the door before reapplying another coat and with danish oil, I can just rub more on without sanding first.

You had me at hello, danish oil.

There's different colors of oil and my two favorites are the medium and dark walnut.  I used the dark for this project.


I put a little on first to make sure I'd like it.



With oil, each coat builds upon the next and I knew this would be a 2-3 coat job.



Here's one coat:


 Two coats and a kid:



Three coats:


When I was finished I used a cotton ball dipped in nail polish remover to get the oil off the glass and then washed the windows with window cleaner and a newspaper, which worked out really well.  From what I've read, the acetone in the polish remover cuts through the oil.

And yes, I am aware that the front door area with its crooked mailbox and chipping paint is not exactly a big reveal but c'mon.  Baby steps.  



CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment