Bringing Back the Bungalow with Chairish

I love perfect timing.
When the folks at Chairish reached out to me for the Mix & Chic Style Challenge a couple of weeks ago, the timing was perfect. They asked me to create a room using their rad vintage furnishings and add some of my own style. And here we are, smack dab in the middle of the bungalow series and I get to share a very cool room idea and tips with you.
Yes, even if you don't have a bungalow.




First, let's talk rugs. Friends don't let friends buy ivory rugs for their dining room. I know they look pretty. I know that magazines showcase priceless ivory moroccan rugs under dining tables, but listen. Just stop thinking about it. At that next dinner party, one of your guests will drop a blob of marinara on your ivory rug. And part of your friendship with them will die. 
If you're going to have a rug under your dining table, find a patterned rug. Something along the lines of this rug is a great option because it'll be forgiving of spills will save all your friendships from marinara-induced tragedies. 
Ok, moving on. 
Every dining room needs a good table and I love the timeless appeal of this one. The lines are classic and I love that I could move the benches into the adjacent living room for extra seating, or I could use them elsewhere (think end of bed or in the entryway) if I wanted to change up the look.
 
The light, the artwork and the subtle patterns on the chairs and rug pull the look together and keep the room from looking perfectly matched. That's my style right there.  The extra chairs are great to add texture & pattern, and will also be handy to pull up for extra seating. Throw in a fiddle leaf fig tree in a vintage planter and you're going to look like a design rockstar.
My tips for a great dining room:
-Classic table with good lines
-Multi-use furniture, such as benches or upholstered side chairs. You'll be able to pull the chair over  
 to a desk when not in use, or into a living space for extra seating.
-Patterned rug. Obviously.
-Mix artwork with family photos and objects. It creates an interesting wall and also creates a 
 conversation piece for your guests.
-Have something growing and green. It adds fresh color to a corner.
-Find a great light, which is not always new or always expensive. Think of repurposing a piece or 
 shopping vintage finds. It's the jewelry of your room and can take your space to the next level. 
 Consider putting the light on a dimmer switch for a soft evening glow.
-Use a storage piece for extra glasses, napkins, candles and you're able to easily set the table.
My favorite of this room is the armoire. You know what I love about armoires beyond their ability to be gorgeous and hold millions of things? I love that all I have to do is close the doors and my guests would never know that I just shoved all the kids' book bags, yesterday's breakfast dishes, and a pile of unfolded laundry into it. Armoires make it look like you have it all together. That, my friends, is priceless. 
Hats off to you, armoires of the world, for saving the day and looking good while doing it. I aspire to be like you.
And thanks to Chairish for curating a collection of very cool furnishings and for letting us buy them.
 
Sources:
Chairish Shabby Chic Collection 
Rug // Light // Table // French Street Sign // Armoire //  Vintage Planters // Leopard Chairs // Floral Pillows // Carved Bowl  // Small Watercolor Painting // Acrylic Landscape Painting // Vase 
 
Paint Colors, left to right are Sherwin Williams Sensible Hue, Sherwin Williams Aloof Gray, and Farrow & Ball Hague Blue
post signature

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment