10 Thanksgiving Day Tips



I'm hosting Thanksgiving this year and I'm not even anxious about it. And to prove how not anxious I am, I'm going to take a break from recaulking and repainting my entire house to give you some thoroughly researched tips from turkey making professionals.

First, this is the recipe I am using for the turkey, mainly because of the sheer volume of people who used the recipe and left reviews. And because I am a neurotic person by nature, I actually read quite a few of the reviews to make sure I cook it right. I have no faith in my turkey-cooking abilities. 

Here's what I learned:

1. I asked Facebook friends where to get a fresh turkey (I read that fresh turkey has better flavor). Quite a few of you recommended Bunzels and Kettle Range Meats. I got my steaks from Bunzels for Christmas Eve and it was delicious, but decided to try Kettle Range Meats because several of you recommended it and because it's close to home. 

2. Several reviewers and friends recommended cutting a whole apple into thin slices. Slide the apple slices between the skin and the meat to help keep the turkey tender. Dude, I'm trying this!

3.  A good rule of thumb is to gauge the cooking time to 20 minutes per pound and adding a little extra time to compensate for the repeated basting.

4. Many people roast roast thighs up so that the juices flow down into the breast meat, keeping it more tender. I don't know if this has been scientifically proven, but thought it was worth a mention.

5. Before you place the butter under the skin, take an entire stick of butter (or more depending on the size of your bird) and place it in a food processor or blender. Blend in a handful of fresh herbs (I'm using garlic & thyme).  Spread this mixture beneath the skin of the ENTIRE turkey. If any butter is remaining, spread it over the top of the turkey. Season with seasoned salt after the butter is rubbed on.

6. Okay, tenting is confusing. Most people tent their turkey, which means they put tin foil loosely over the turkey pan to keep moisture in and to keep the skin from browning too quickly. I'm not quite sure when to take it off: some pulled the tent off with about a half hour cooking time left, other took it off with two hours left. Others didn't tent it during the first hour or two so that the meat would brown and then tented it for the remainder of the cooking time. Help me.

7. Turkey bags: yes or no? Some reviewers swear by them, others do the basting. It seems that for novice chefs, a bag may be the best method.

8. Mix the softened butter with herbs, place it between layers of saran wrap, and form it into a roll. Put the roll in the freezer to firm up. When ready to use, simply cut the roll into coin-sized pieces and place each "coin" in a different spot between skin and turkey. That's genius. I'm doing that today.

9. Although the recipe calls for water mixed with bouillon, people highly recommend using ready made or homemade broth to increase the flavor. 

10. Reviewers recommend using carrots and celery as the base to rest the turkey on if you don't have a raised turkey pan to prevent scorching and to add flavor.

I am using this recipe for stuffing and prepping it the day before without liquids so it doesn't get soggy. 

Good luck, turkey makers. And Happy Thanksgiving to all!



CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment